Kickball Is Here!
Posted by Ren McCormack on May 6, 2009
Welcome to the 2009 season!
We’ve got a full roster that’s a mix of vets and newbies. So if you don’t know everyone, that’s fine (because neither do I!).
To get to know each other before the season starts and to see what this kickball stuff is all about, we’re going to have a pre-season pickup games and party THIS THURSDAY. We’ll meet at the usual fields at 6:30 to have some informal games and a ref clinic for anyone interested in helping out ref this year (note: each week, we have to provide a ref for the game preceding/after our game). Then we’ll head to our new sponsor bar, McFaddens, for FREE BEER, dinner, and flip cup. I f it is still raining come Thursday, head straight to McFaddens.
For the newbies on the team, Thursday night will be a good night to meet people and get a few practice kicks under your belt. If you don’t know me, please find me to introduce yourself. I’m the short, devilishly handsome man with a shaved head who likely is bouncing around talking to lots of people. Did you see the words “FREE BEER” above? What else do you need. At the door, just let the wristband lady know that you’re with kickball.
* ALL games on Thursday nights starting at either 6:30 or 7:15. I have NOT received the schedule yet. I’ll send it once I do.
* Games will start next Thursday. * We still will play on the Mall near the Vietnam memorial (20th/Constitution). The closest Metro is Foggy Bottom, and is a 10-15 min walk. Use the pick-up games this Thursday as a test run to see how long your commute will take. What are my expectations as the team captain?
* First and foremost, the only thing that I ask of each player is that they respond to the questions that I ask in the blog (https://footloose.wordpress.com) each week by posting a comment. This will typically be something very complex such as “please let me know whether you will be at tonight’s game.” Now let me be a snotball and give everyone a lesson in basic English. The word “whether” expresses an alternative, as in “whether or not” (i.e., give me a yes or no answer).
* Next, read my weekly posts. They will contain little tips of success and 80s trivia. For example, what’s the first rule of kicking? Just ask a veteran. What’s the top selling album of 1983? That should be a gimmy, as it’s also the world’s overall top selling album: Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
* If you do not respond to the blog letting me know that you are coming to a game and you show up, that’s cool, just know that you’ll be at the bottom of the kicking order. Fair warning.
* Footloose strives to find a balance between being goofy and being competitive. What’s that mean? Rock the wristbands, but still rock the other team.
Here are some other tidbits of info:
* Becky and Jed are again helping me organize and run things. (Hopefully I asked them…) The reality of work is that I expect to work longer hours over the summer and may have difficulty makes the early games on time.
* We will handle on-field drinks the same as last season: by rotating who supplies cups and drinks for each game. The type of drink is up to you. A couple of 30 packs? That’s cool. Sangria? That makes for a fun night. Jungle juice? Hells yea! Officially, drinking is not allowed on the Mall. Officially, we do not drink on the Mall. Just don’t ask what’s in the cups. Discretion (and cleaning up all trash) is key.
* I ask that each person give me $4 or $5 for miscellaneous expenses. And yes, I do keep note of who paid and who thinks I won’t notice when they don’t pay. * There will be a few games where we are responsible for taking an equipment bag and bringing it the following week. So I’m not stuck lugging the thing on the Metro, if anyone is driving and knows that they will be at the next game, I’d be very grateful if you step up and volunteer to take/bring it. We’ll cover that when it comes up.
* There will be at least two costume games this summer (other than our normal 80s garb, of course). Metal Mania VI and the league-sponsored “Halloween in July.” What’s Metal Mania? It’s your chance to flex a little creative muscle and use a lot of Hairnet. Basically, each team member creates their own 80s metal band personality and comes decked out and ready to rock. I have a couple ideas for Halloween in July, but more ideas are welcome. Last season we did 80s movie characters and the year before we did “Pretty in Pink” and wore bad prom dresses (even some of the dudes). Stayed tuned for future posts on both costume events. In the mean time, hit the local Goodwill and stock up on acid wash jeans and snakeskin vests.
* Shirts: the color is picked. I’m not sure if they will arrive on time given that the order is just going out now. What’s the color? I’m not sure since I have a short list of choices, but it will be a new color this year.
LAST, but most importantly… Footloose is a team with a theme. If the name “Footloose” didn’t give it away, maybe this will: do you like jelly bracelets? Do you still wear tube socks with the stripes at the top? Do you still fall asleep with a Glow Worm tucked snuggly under your arm? Do you look Pretty in Pink? Because you know, and knowing is half the battle. Because you’re just a small town girl living in a lonely world. Because you’re Hungry Like the Wolf, you’ve joined a team that loves everything cheesy about the 80s. So get ready to do the Safety Dance, flip too many cups to count, and maybe, just maybe, play a little kickball.
That’s all from the news desk right now.
Ps- Live the blog. Love the blog. Save it as a favorite.