(I’m so cool that I don’t need a title for this post)
Posted by Ren McCormack on June 18, 2009
Update (3:55pm): Games tonight are ON!
I’m back from my week in Orlando. I heard that last week was a little rough, score-wise. Vandy is one of the better teams on the field (they won the division a few year’s back) and on the flip cup table. Sorry that I missed it.
This week’s game is at 6:30 vs. We Got The Runs.
We Got The Runs was the doo-doo brown team from last season. They were traditionally the absolute worst team in the division—but a lot of fun. This year, they have a new captain and a lot of new players. Bottom line: they aren’t the same ol’ crappy team (get it?!).
This is the fun green team that we’ve spent most nights at McFaddens playing flip cup against.
Action Item 1: You In?
Please respond whether (OR NOT) you can make the game. As a reminder, if you don’t respond and show up, you are relegated to the bottom of the kicking order and likely won’t start in the field the first inning (so you get less playing time).
The weather looks nice this afternoon, but there is a 30% chance of thunderstorms from 6pm on. What does that mean? You can bet your britches that the games will not be cancelled before you leave work. We DO play in light rain, so don’t be scared off. I have ½ the team’s cell #s, the other ½ should give it to me tonight. Mine is 703.967.9145. Call or shoot me a text if you aren’t certain. Rule of thumb: always assume the game is on. The possibility of rain also means that we’ll likely try to actually start the game on time so that both games can get in before any rain starts. So show up on time.
Captain’s Tip of the Day:
- The easiest out if a pop fly. So let’s not pop up. We don’t need to score on every kick.
- I’m going to slightly change up positions. The shallow center fielder from now on will take throws to 2nd base. The person playing this position should still stand a few steps behind the base itself. You’ll have time to get there to make the catch, I promise. The gal playing 2nd base actually stands in between 1st and 2nd base. If you are not sure where to stand, just ask a vet.
- Similarly, the short stop splits the difference between 2nd base and 3rd base.
- If the ball is bouncier than you’d like—don’t kick it! You get 3 strikes before you are out, so you can be a little picky with pitches. I know that I get excited to kick and swing at the first ball pitched. But it may be better to wait for a nicer pitch.
- Usually the team that makes the fewest errors wins.
- A typical error is to throw the ball around when runners are advancing. It’s a judgment call, but sometimes its better to cut your losses and get the ball back to the pitcher. For example, if the ball is overthrown at 1st and the runner is proceeding towards 2nd. The 1st baseman or right fielder (who should be backing up 1st base on all throws) then tried to peg them at 2nd, but miss. The ball rolls into the outfield. The runner then goes for third. The center fielder comes in and tries to peg them at 3rd, even though it would be a close play. They miss. The runner then scores on what should have been a single. Like a said, it’s a judgment call, but perhaps it would have been best to eat the ball (yummy) and get the ball to the pitcher.
Shirts & Schwag:
I’ll have the rest of the shirts there tonight. I’m tired of lugging them, so grab yours or have a friend take it if you can’t make it.
As with every game, I have a bag o’ schwag – HELP YOURSELF! I don’t hand it out—it’s up to you to help yourself. I also have a running list of those who have floated me a few bucks…so I know those who haven’t paid yet…try to get me tonight or the next game you make. Make sure that I check you off my list. Then add your cell # to the list.
Action Item 2: Libations
Who’s bringing beer, cups, and a trash bag tonight? No one should have to double up during the course of a season or playoffs.
Action Item 3: Theme
Two games ago we didn’t actually get to do 80s cartoon characters cuz only 5 of us showed up. So let’s repeat that one.
Midseason Party & Flip Cup Tourney:
As you know, Saturday is the mid-season party and flip cup tournament. Becky R sent out an e-mail to get a head count. She has not heard from Becky S, Eric, or Brianne. We have 2-3 openings to fill with either teammates or FOFs (Friends of Footloose). If there is enough interest, we can always fill another team with FOFs. It’s only $10 FREE for DCK members, and $20 $10 for non-DCKers. That’s a pretty good deal for 10 kegs of beer and chicken fingers. I would bet that we’ll bar hop around AdMo too that night, so it’ll probably be a really fun and ridiculously drunk night. I hope you can make it! If you can’t make the flip cup part of the day/night, you could always meet us out later (though we’ll probably be pretty goofy by then).
Next 2 Weeks:
We have a bye week next week. And that really sucks. Seems that with the rain and holidays that this season doesn’t have much flow. So, I plan to line up a scrimmage against one of the other teams that has a bye. So we’ll still get a game in and a regular Thursday night at the bar. So plan ahead!
In two weeks is the Independence Day holiday, so no games.
We’re only going to do one costume event this year: create your own 8os metal hair band, otherwise known as Metal Mania. It will be in July, so start thinking about your costume. The more over the top and outrageous, the better. I was hitting on high school girls at Hot Topic and Journeys last weekend, and they had a TON of 80s garb—Madonna-style gloves, neon, and general cheesiness. Both stores would be a good resource. Thrift shops like Goodwill always have good stuff too.
Friday, July 26: Footloose (the movie…duh…) is playing at the Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival (http://www.rosslynva.org/play/calendar/film-festival). I’ve been to a few of these. They are smaller than Screen on the Green, but you still can bring a picnic dinner, adult beverage of choice, and watch a movie at dusk. I think we should make it a team outing (as Brianne previously suggested in a blog post).
July 10-12: The All Good Music Festival in Masontown, WV. Tix are $140 for the weekend. You camp out, drink beer, and listen to good tunes. Any interest? As a bonus, you get to meet my brother and sister.
Mondays, July 10-Aug. 10: Screen on the Green thankfully was able to get new sponsors after AOL dropped out. Word on the street is that they will do 4 movies instead of the usual 5 because of the short planning time this year. The first flick is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This is one of my favorite summer events in DC (after kickball, naturally). It’s great to get there early, set up a blanket, eat dinner and drink a bottle of wine (yea, I’m a lush like that…but it’s over several hours), and watch a movie with the Capitol as the backdrop. It gets crowded, so get there early. More info to come.
Unknown Date: Party at Aaron’s and my place!
Unknown Dates: Other weekend trip ideas kicked around were a camping trip to Assateague Island and tubing in WV then camping out.
Well, that’s enough info for now. See you tonight, rain or shine!
Say you don’t know me, or recognize my face
Say you don’t care who goes to that kind of place
Knee deep in the hoopla, sinking in your fight
Too many runaways eating up the night
Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don’t you remember
We built this city, we built this city on rock an’ roll
We built this city, we built this city on rock an’ roll
Built this city, we built this city on rock an’ roll
— We Built This City, Starship
What can I say about Starship? The founders of Jefferson Airplane took a monumental San Francisco psychedelic band from the 60s and created one of the absolute worst songs of all time.